Monday, October 24, 2011

Recipes for Cleaning

I changed this post a bit.  I found many recipes for laundry detergent and went with the one that uses 1 cup borax instead of 1/2 cup borax. 

I did it!  I made my own laundry detergent this weekend and it was super easy, fun, and made my kitchen smell really fresh!  Here is the recipe I used (taken from this website):

Homemade Laundry Detergent


Most homemade laundry detergent recipes out there contain the same ingredients:
1. 1 bar of Fels-Naptha soap
2. 1 cup of Washing Soda
3. ½ cup of Borax powder  1 cup Borax powder (cleans really well)

To make a powdered detergent, cut the soap into small pieces and then powder it in a food processor or blender (I use my Pampered Chef cheese grater and then put it in a food processor) . Mix this with the washing soda and borax. Use 1-2 tsps per load depending on the size of the load and the amount of soil.
Super cheap and super yummy smelling!  I've read that you can use different types of bar soaps instead of the fels-naptha if you prefer. 

The next recipe I'll try is for homemade dish detergent (from the same website):

Homemade Dishwasher Detergent


Ingredients
• 1 cup washing soda
• 1 cup borax powder
• ½ cup salt
• ½ cup citric acid

Mix all the ingredients together and store in a glass canning jar. Use one tablespoon per load. For best results, use white vinegar in the rinse dispenser.

Ethan helped me make the laundry detergent.
And... Cory is completely on board because its cheap and smells delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment