Tuesday, February 28, 2012

I Can't Sleep

It is horrible.  I can't sleep.  I am so tired.  I yawn all day.  I'm in a fog.  I can't focus, but when I lay down in bed at night... I can't sleep.  I can't turn off.  My mind keeps going.  I lay wide awake until midnight every night.  I'm lucky if I get to sleep until 3 or 4am uninterrupted.  Then by 5am I am wide awake again.  Why is this happening?  Last night Carter was in bed by 7pm, Ethan was in bed by 8pm, and there I was wide awake, trying to sleep, but not actually falling asleep until around midnight.  I just need to sleep.  This lack of sleep is causing anxiety.  I have bags under my eyes.  I am getting irritable.  I really need to sleep. 

Any recommendations?  Herbs?  Medications?  Relaxation techniques?  I am guessing some of this is related to my post partum anxiety.  I am hoping it passes soon, but I need to find a way to get through it.  I need to function. 

1 comment:

  1. That is rough! I'm so sorry! I would try to keep your boys in their own beds. Ethan should be old enough to understand to stay in his own bed. By the time a baby is 5-6 months old they can learn to stay in their own beds and its so much easier once that is taught. It's a hard process though. My best success was just letting my baby cry it out for a couple of nights. It's SO HARD to hear but then after two terrible nights and maybe one more moderately hard night, it's done and they sleep great after that in their own bed. Babycenter might have other things to try you might research. My other piece of advice is exercise. It's hard to think about when you're already so tired but exercise definitely helps one sleep. Just exercise in the morning...not evening or else it will keep you up. Also, watch what you eat in the evening. That might contribute to difficulty sleeping. You might be able to unwind with a shower or bath and just imagine your troubles and stresses washing down the drain. After, drink some tea. I LOVE Yogi brand tea and my favorite kind is Egyptian Licorice. It really relaxes me (and also fills my tummy so I don't get hungry right before bed). My other suggestion sounds kind of funny but I know you're religious...try saying a nice long prayer before bed. Put all your concerns out there to Him and let yourself feel his love and comfort. Pray until you do. It is a stress reliever and will help you relax. Good luck. It's so hard to be a mom even when sleeping good and too hard when you're not getting enough sleep.

    ReplyDelete