Wednesday, April 20, 2011

A Big Step

Yesterday I took a really big step in life.  Now to some of you this may not seem like a big step, but to me it was huge.  I never in my life thought that I would own a minivan... much less get excited about a minivan... and really want to buy a minivan... brand new!  I have never owned a brand new vehicle before and for the vehicle to be a minivan.... is HUGE!  I am a 100% mom.  It is official.  I love that part.  No doubt about it.  And as a mom my top priority is my family which includes being able to fit them in a vehicle that is safe, reliable, comfortable, and convenient for the family.  I have been looking at sedans, SUVs, crossovers with third row seats, and finally minivans over the past couple weeks.  I have been driving myself and my friends and family crazy while trying to make this decision.  I had my heart set on a sporty looking crossover with a third row.  I was ready to go to the store and buy it.  I had put the world of minivans aside and wrote off the idea of ever owning one.  THEN... Cory and I spent a day test driving... and we quickly realized how non-realistic a crossover with third row seating truly was.  There would be seriously no way for Mariah and friends to get to the third row seating once we would put two car seats in the second row.  Actually... there was one way... they would have to climb through the back hatch/trunk area, fold forward one seat, sit on each other's laps until they get the second seat back in to position, and then take their seating space.  This may have been funny for a time or two, but it would have gotten old quickly. 

So, Cory and I started driving minivans.  I have to admit... I quickly realized how glorious these odd looking vehicles really are.  There are no blind spots.  The features are amazing.  The interior is spacious and comfortable.  The storage space is abundant.  The gas mileage is great.  AND the fact that I was buying one BRAND NEW meant that the warranty was fabulous.  I seriously couldn't go wrong with the decision to buy a minivan.  Why had I been in denial for so long?!  These things are like mini living rooms on wheels.  Now I didn't get the features of the leather seats, dvd player, or sunroof... but I got power sliding doors to easily let the kids in the vehicle!  As a mom my hands are always full and soon I'll be carrying an infant car seat along with everything else.  All I have to do is press a button as I am walking to my minivan and BAM the door slides open!  I also now have blue tooth which means no more searching for my phone.  I just press a button on the steering wheel and talk to whomever is calling me.  Talk about safety!  The other awesome new features are the back up camera that appears in my review mirror showing me exactly what is behind my vehicle as I am backing up.  It also has little sensors that beep and tell me if I am getting to close to something. 

While I may have given up some wonderful features in my SUV like power seats, heated leather, temperature gage for outside, sunroof, and a gage that tells me my average miles per gallon... I did acquire a lot of safety features on the minivan that in the long run will be much better features to have in a family vehicle. 

So, what did I get??  I got the 2011 KIA Sedona.  AND since I bought it brand new I got to pick the color!  I have never in my life owned a brand new vehicle until yesterday.  I always wanted a black vehicle with tan interior so that is exactly what I got and I LOVE IT!  Oh and did I mention the 7 year 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty along with never having to pay for getting my tires rotated, oil and filters changed, and 105 point inspections until the vehicle reaches 105,000 miles?!  All of this is included!  NOW I know why people buy new instead of used.  I am actually feeling a bit spoiled with my new minivan.  :-) 

Happy 33rd birthday to me! 



 Ethan's favorite spot - sorry the picture is a little blurry... he would not hold still.
 Good Bye Trailblazer.  You were a great vehicle and will be missed. 

By the way... in 7 years for my 40th birthday... I am buying a sports car. ;-)

2 comments:

  1. You are too funny! Great post! I agree, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a minivan. At some point, functionality outweighs appearance. However - this minivan is pretty cool looking!!! I can't wait for a ride......now and in 7 years. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, i still drive one and my kids are practically grown. they r just so practical. mine does have power seats, heated leather, and the power doors. love them! enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete